Contacts for Information on the Actions Identified in the New York Energy Highway Blueprint
For information on active projects proposed for electric system improvements noted in the New York Energy Highway Blueprint, please contact the Lead Public Partner(s) for the Action related to that project. For example, information on status of alternating transmission upgrades, please contact the New York State Department of Public Service (DPS).
When you contact any Lead Public Partner using the links below, please write Energy Highway in the subject line.
EXPAND AND STRENGTHEN THE ENERGY HIGHWAY
- Initiate Alternating Current transmission upgrades to increase the capacity to move excess power from upstate to downstate: DPS.
- Develop and implement Reliability Contingency Plans to prepare for potential large power plant retirements: DPS.
- Provide public power entities flexibility in contracting for public-private partnerships: NYPA, LIPA.
ACCELERATE CONSTRUCTION AND REPAIR
- Accelerate investments in electric generation, transmission, and distribution for reliability, safety, and storm resilience: DPS, NYPA.
- Accelerate investments in natural gas distribution to reduce costs to consumers and promote reliability, safety, and emission reductions, DPS.
SUPPORT CLEAN ENERGY
- Conduct a competitive solicitation for renewable resources in New York as part of the State’s Renewable Portfolio Standard: NYSERDA
- Initiate transmission upgrades in Northern New York to help facilitate renewable energy development: NYPA, NYSERDA.
- Characterize offshore wind resources and evaluate cost recovery opportunities: NYSERDA.
- Initiate process for repowering of inefficient power plants on Long Island and support additional efforts to transition to a cleaner power generation fleet on Long Island: LIPA.
- Require utilities to evaluate repowering as an alternative to power plant retirements when the plant is needed for reliability: DPS.
- Establish a Community Support Plan and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction Program in the electricity sector: DEC, NYSERDA.
DRIVE TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION
- Fund Smart grid demonstration projects: NYSERDA.
- Develop an advanced energy Management System Control Center and pursue federal energy research grants: NYSERDA, NYPA.
- For general inquiries: NYPA.